Sunday, March 6, 2011

Psycho-logy


So I have to do a paper and presentation for my psychology class. I found a topic (it's for psychology in the media) about germs/germaphobes when it comes to staying in hotels from CNN. But I think I am going to get a lot more out of a different article from the NY Times about eating disorders. Although when I read it it seemed to be more about how so-and-so M.D. or Mr. Ph.D can change America's eating habits virtually over night by, for example, saying that meat is very bad for you and will kill you if you eat too much of it. When in the first place people have been eating tons of meat for years and never had much of a problem with it. *sigh*

I'm getting kind of bored of classes... Sometimes psychology is cool. I really liked the other day talking about memory. She talked about ways to make your memory better. She said that you have to sleep because that's the only time the hippocampus really starts doing it's thing. It's the one that does the sorting and storing and remembering bits. If you don't sleep you don't really store any new information. What you store in your memory is only about 7 items (plus or minus 2). There are ways of "cheating" like with phone numbers. You chunk.

Chunking would be like remembering a phone number. Instead of remembering them all as separate numbers (ex 8017463524) you put them into groups which make them all units of info. So with 801-555-1234 it's a group of 3= 1 item. So with the phone number you are only remembering 3 items. See?

I have to finish my paper thingy cuz it's due this week. I also have to have a list of minerals memorized using a method my group picked out... We have to use the same method and we have to have all of them memorized. I think by Tuesday? I have been procrastinating...

I have a feeling this week will be busy. I work pretty much every other day, I have school Monday-Thursday, and I have a few other things I have to do outside of school. Busy, busy, busy.

1 comment:

irish said...

Have you seen any of Jamie Oliver's shows? He probably has a book out--I don't know. He went to W. Virginia last year, because this town there had the worst eating habits in their school. He took all the junk food out of their school lunch and put in lots of fruits and veggies. But I loved the show. Also, Michael Pollen's books about how food is grown. He even went to Idaho and worked with different potato farmers. I think he has 4 books and I have read them all--very interesting and enlightening. Lots of Love, Grandma